We The People is a global movement of citizens working to put the power back in people. Our mission is to give every single person the power to step up and speak out without having to be afraid. We conduct ground-breaking research, strengthen civil society, and are building an open blockchain platform that will give citizens the tools and resources to step up and be heard while remaining safe, secure, and, when needed, anonymous. Through our campaigns, training, services and ultimately our platform, we're adopting a different approach that will ensure everyone has hope.
We are now seeking a highly experienced, confident, and driven individual to run our capacity building programmes. Our capacity building programmes aim to ensure that more and more people are able to step up and speak out, while being safe. We do this through our trailblazing network Spoken Up 500 along with our events, partnerships, research, and special projects.
This position is best suited for someone with a strong background in human rights protection. We look for contagiously passionate individuals ready to own their role and hit the ground running.
This is a part time position subject to a probation period that may become a full time position.
What's the role?
Based in Hong Kong, you will be the driving force behind our programmes and work on the ground, namely Spoken Up 500. You will work with a range of individuals and groups across government, business and civil society to further our mission and maximise our impact in closed societies. Additionally, you will work with communities in closed societies on a wide range of sensitive issues, primarily relating to civic engagement, to help understand local needs, build relationships, tailor our services, and expand our reach. You will coordinate our individuals-at-risk protection network as well as ensure its successful launch, expansion, and day to day operations which includes providing rapid response and emergency services.
In addition to Spoken Up 500, you will be required to plan, organise, and manage special projects in line with our strategic priorities and wider civic engagement considerations. You will significantly contribute to our events and research. Above all, you will translate our lived experiences and first-hand insight into valuable feedback that will shape the design and construction of our platform.
We'll trust you to:
- Demonstrate a keen understanding of We The People’s vision, mission and brand values, and represent our values on a wider level
- Manage and expand Spoken Up 500, our network of the world’s most at-risk emerging grassroots leaders
- Establish and manage relationships with governments, businesses, and civil society groups
- Operate with the highest degree of integrity, trustworthiness and sensitivity
- Be extra vigilant in managing highly sensitive data, constantly taking the safety of our work into consideration
- Research and develop educational content around online and offline protection and empowerment of individuals at-risk
- Continuously review, refine and evolve the work of Spoken Up 500 to reflect our strategic priorities, the needs of the network’s members, and wider civic engagement considerations
- Take ownership of the process of protection through a proactive approach
- Build and maintain relationships with individuals-at-risk while demonstrating utmost sensitivity and respect for their circumstances and building trust
- Work with colleagues, volunteers, and partners on matters of mutual interest
- Contribute content creation, marketing and fundraising
- Represent the movement at all levels
- Act as a spokesperson when needed
- Attend relevant meetings, conferences or other events of a similar nature
- Eventually, grow a team around you and build capacity
You'll need to have:
- A solid background in human rights protection work, with a keen understanding of the social, political, diplomatic, technical and ethical considerations that this work relates to
- At least five years of relevant work experience
- Research experience
- Experience working with a wide range of stakeholders
- Significant knowledge of civil society protection issues
- A strong sense of proactive management skills
- Experience in mid to senior management
- Excellent English (speaking, reading, and writing)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to be a part of a broader team as well as work independently and lead teams (when required)
We'd love to see:
- Other language skills, especially Mandarin, Russian or Spanish
- Immediate availability